Wednesday 20 June 2012

Grand Theft Agro - Deleted Scenes


Title: Grand Theft Agro (Deleted Scenes)
Series: Battletech/Mechwarrior
Original Publication: NA

Grand Theft Agro holds a special place for me as it was my first published work. Yay. However, before that happened, it also needed to have the ever-living crap edited out of it. The end result was that two entire scenes hit the cutting room floor, trimming about a third off of the story before it was done. It was necessary and, more to the point, it didn't hurt the story to do such.

However, at the same time, I also felt that they were too good to waste, especially given that they feature a character who, while largely absent from the published version of the story was still important for what I had planned. Likewise, they give a lot more background and motivation for the protagonist.

The deleted scenes are available here. The full, published story is available on Battlecorps. You should go read it. Now.


Trivia:

Juanita Kwan was named by Mike Surbrook; at that point she was just "vaguely Chinese", and I chose a homeworld for her based on her name, figuring "mixed Chinese-Spanish population" fit what I wanted. In the end, it turned out that Poznan had a long history of racial violence that had been only halted by the Republic and its resettlement programs, which made her an ideal poster child for what the Republic can do.

And I suppose I'm retroactively a genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment